Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Crochet Rope Basket... with cat

Some time ago, I had picked up several pieces of glow in the dark rope that I found at a rather strange discount superstore in my city, with the thought of crocheting with it.  In the end, I decided against doing it, partly because it seemed a waste to do that with something that is intended to be exposed to light and glow in the dark.  Too much of the rope would be hidden in the twists and loops.

Instead, I decided to use it to make a rope basket.  I found instructions online that I used as a guide, crocheting the coiled rope in place with white cotton crochet thread and a 3.00mm hook. 

A little while ago, I finished it.  It's a bit wonky, and there are things I would do different, but that's okay.  I've got two more lengths of the same rope remaining and will likely use them to make a larger version.

It doesn't seem to glow very well, but perhaps it just hasn't had enough exposure to bright enough light, yet.  I'll have to test it out better, another time.

After showing it to my husband, he suggested I get a picture of it by our cat, Freya. So I did.  She was curled up on the spare bed with her boy, Finnigan.  Finn ignored it completely.

My husband also predicted that she would immediately try and go into the basket.

He was right, of course.

She does this with pretty much everything.  Even the case for my glucometer.

I love our crazy cats.

As for the basket, I am quite happy with it and will definitely work up another one.  I will probably do another oval, though I haven't decided if I will make handles like this again, or make one with a lid.

Saturday, March 11, 2017

A bit of an update, plus a teaser

So things are quiet here on the blog, which means that things are busy out in real life!

There are a few things in the works.  Among them is that I will be working towards getting my domain name and a web host to move away from blogger.  Not a big hurry on that right now, though, as those real life things still need to be taken care of.  One of those is to replace our van, which has died a glorious death, but only after getting me safely home.  I already miss my Lulubelle!  We depended on that vehicle a lot.  Unfortunately, getting a replacement we can afford has turned out to be more difficult than expected.  We need to stick with getting a van, as we need something that can fit all four of us, plus his walker, and it tall enough for him to get up into.  A smaller vehicle is much more painful for him to get into and sit in.

Enter my wonderful daughter.  She has been focusing on her art online a lot more.  She's started up a Patreon account, her new web comic, Borrowed Bones, is now live, and she is still taking commissions.

She has told me that all proceeds from her commissions will go towards acquiring another van.

You can see her rates, with samples, here.

You can also follow her tumblr posts here.

You can also get her art printed onto various things at her Redbubble shop.  I've got "All Sun Dappled" on a tote bag and phone cover, and I just love the quality of the products, as well as how well her art looks on it.  My younger daughter got "Darkening the Stars" on a phone case and "The Prophet" on a tank top.

Meanwhile, here is a sneak peak at one of my newest hats, which will go onto my Etsy shop, Treasures Down the Road, as soon as I can take some decent photos ready. The photo does not do justice to how incredibly sparkling it is!  And so comfortable to wear, too!

I'm working on another one that's going to be even more sparkling, with metallic strands and sequins.  It's going to be awesome!

Thursday, December 8, 2016

Crochet Christmas Stocking number four.

The last stocking; my own.  I went with just double crochet this time, but tried a different type of heel; an afterthought heel.  I created an opening for the heel, then went back after the rest was done.  Not entirely sure I did it right, but I like the technique.

Mobile message.

Crochet Christmas stocking; finishing details

To finish off the stockings, I stitched straps 20 single crochet long, then sewed them on as loops.

I wasn't able to find what I had in mind to embellish them, so I made a compromise that worked very well.  Hair clips.  Easy to put on and adjust as needed.

Mobile message.

Crochet stocking three

This one took a lot longer than the others.   I had a couple of false starts before I settled on the basket weave pattern.  As the green stocking ended up narrower than I wanted, I made this one a bit larger; 40 stitches around instead of 36.  Between that and the post stitches, it took quite a bit more yarn, too.

My daughters are quite happy with their stockings.  As I put things in them, though, I think I should have made them bigger. lol

Mobile message.

Monday, November 28, 2016

Crochet Christmas Stocking, number two

Second stocking done.  Somewhat narrower at the leg portion than the previous, which somehow ended up with extra stitches after the heel.

I also tried a different method for turning the heel, and I like it better . 

Mobile message.

Sunday, November 27, 2016

Crochet Christmas Stocking

Just finished the first of 4 stocking I will be making this year, each in a different base color.  This one is for my husband, who loves bright pink.  I  will be adding a hanger and a decorative element to each of them when they are done.

I am not using a pattern for this.  I didn't find any information was happy with, so I am winging it. 

Also, I have discovered a Blogger oops.  I can email posts, as I am doing with this one, but somewhere along the line, Blogger changed things and it changed the email address to do so.  I missed this, so I have been emailing posts to a non-existant address.  I got no failure notifications, so I have no idea where they ended up.

So I hope to have posts actually show up more often, now that I've fixed this. lol

Mobile message.