Planet June's Love Hearts pattern inspired me! For the past while, I've been making these little hearts every chance I got - which unfortunately wasn't as often as I would have liked.
Earlier today, I set out all the ones I'd finished for a photo, then counted them. There was 113, though I found one I missed later on. It got added to the others that were finished up later today.
Of course, I had to get a photo of them, too.
I did make a minor change to Planet June's pattern for the larger hearts. Where she has 3 sc in one space to make the point on the bottom of the heart, I did [1sc, 1hdc, 1sc] instead.
I also played around a bit with adding colours, which you can see in the top photo. With some, I changed colours for the second round of the larger heart pattern. For a few, I added rows of contrasting colour to outline the hearts using a hook to create what, in embroidery, would be called a chain stitch, or a tambour stitch, which typically uses a special hook. One simply has a running stitch outline. A few are stuffed. There was one heart (bottom photo, deep red metallic yarn on the right side, towards the bottom) that I changed a fair bit more. For the third round, instead of using sc stitches, I used hdc stitches worked into the backs of the hdc stitches in the previous row to create the surface braid effect.
In total, we ended up with 131 hearts. My older daughter made a whole bunch of of the small hearts for me. Then we took the whole lot of them and yarn bombed an area in our river valley park system. It was hard to get good photos, but here's a couple that turned out better than most.
We plan to go back tomorrow and see how many are left.
Happy Valentine's Day!