Pages

Monday, August 15, 2011

Learning Crocodile Stitch

Not too long ago, I saw some new items on Ravelry that featured crocodile stitch. They looked awesome, and I really wanted to figure out how to do it. Every time I sat down to learn it, though, something would come up and interrupt. Isn't that always the way? *L*

Well today, I was finally able to do it! I got a chance to sit down with hook and yarn and watch this video.



Here is what I made while watching this.

IMG_5059crop50%

A front view of the 7 rows I've worked so far.

IMG_5060crop50%

And here's the view I kept wanting to see every time I saw something done in this stitch - the back! It finally makes complete sense to me.

If you look at the top row in my photos, you can see an alternating pattern of 1 dc, then 2 dc in the same space. These are each seperated by 1 ch (in the foundation row, there are 2 ch in between). The scales are worked around each pair of dc. 5 dc are worked around the post of the first one, then back up the post of the second one. The scale is then anchored by doing a slip stitch around the post of the lone dc. In the next row, the lone dc is worked into the space of the scale, while the pair of dc's are worked into the top of the lone dc that had been slip stitched around. Every even numbered row, which makes the scales, is worked on top of every odd numbered row. It makes for a very interesting effect! Once I've got a bit more practise, I plan to work something up using a much finer yarn. I'm already thinking of ways to modify it, too!

I think I'm going to really enjoy this stitch!

No comments: