Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Crocheted eggs - variations on a theme

Recently I tried a Lion Brand free crochet pattern to make an amigurumi Easter egg.  I wasn't too happy with the finished result - I found the decreases to the narrow end too obvious.  I played around and came up with my own version.  Then I went through my stash and came up with different variations.  All of these were made on a 5mm hook, and all but the glitter yarn are medium (4) weight.  Here's what I ended up with.

Crochet Eggs

These eggs will be used for display at the Clareview Michaels.  Here are the details.  The pattern itself will be written out later and posted.

Crochet Eggs

This egg is a simple spiral, but when it came to the decreases, I used Planet June's invisible decrease method.

Crochet Eggs

For this one, I did a bi-colour tapestry crochet.  Crochet's natural tendancy to shift slightly with each round created an effect I really liked.  This is my favourite egg of the bunch.

Crochet Eggs

To make horizontal stripes, I worked in rounds instead of a spiral.  I threw in some star variation of the single crochet long stitch to add some texture and interest.  I really liked how the colours worked with this one.

Crochet Eggs

Here's another one worked in rounds and using the long single crochet to break up the horizontal stripes.

Crochet Eggs

I wanted to brighten things up and dug out some metallic yarn from my stash.  Again, it's done in rounds with variations of the single crochet long stitch to change things up.  The glitter yarn is Bernat Shimmer, with two strands together, as it is a slightly thinner yarn.

Crochet Eggs

This version is just horizontal rounds of single crochet.  The purple is two stands of Patons Brilliant.

Crochet Eggs

For my last one, I went back to tapestry crochet in a spiral.  The first round was done in white, the second added the pale beige, then the third added the pale blue.  As I tapered down I dropped out the pale beige first, then the pale blue.  The photo doesn't quite capture the flame-like shapes that formed in the process.  Working with three colours like this was QUITE the challenge, and my younger daughter was sweet enough to help by untangling the yarn as I worked. 

I will be making more of these in a basic spiral and using variegated yarn for colour changes.  Hopefully, I'll have them done and photographed before Easter!

No comments: