Pages

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Yarny Love

Ah, finally - a blog post not done on my phone!

Summer is the busiest time of year for us, and for the next while I will be joining my daughter at Art on the Plaza, sharing her booth with my crochet.

My birthday was during the Art Walk (which was fabulous, even with all the rain on the last day!), so today my daughters took me out to get my birthday gift.  They were originally planning to pool their resources and get me a tajine, but they're prohibitively expensive and not many places carry them, or have them in stock, so they took me to River City Yarns, instead.  This is what they got me...

Philidar Recif


Eighteen balls of Phildar Recif multicolour in Savane, a self striping yarn made in Belgium (French language website)

The downtown River City Yarns is in the process of moving to a new, larger location in the West End, so the downtown store was almost completely empty when we got there.  There were quite a few kits and some other yarns, and sale tables.  The sale items were all at least 25% off, or 50% off if you bought at least 10.  It was so difficult to choose!  In the end, I decided to pick up all they had left in this colorway.  That way, there's enough yarn for me to make pretty much anything I decide on.  The girls had one restriction placed on their gift.  I have to use it to make something for myself!  Most of the things I make are either gifts, samples or sale.  Other than winter hats and the like, or things like can cozies or table mats, I have nothing for myself.

This yarn is 70% acrylic, 25% coton and 5% polyester, gentle wash and lay flat to dry.  Each ball is 50g, 112m.  I am thinking of using it to make either a top out of it, or a shrug or cardigan - something lighter for summer use.

While we were there, my younger daughter picked up a ball of yarn for herself.

Frill Seeker by Estelle


Frill Seeker by Estelle, Precious Metal, Q50901.  Another hand wash, lay flat to dry, it's 90% acrylic, 10% polyester, with about 60 meters in a 200g ball - enough to make two narrow scarves.  She's broken out the knitting needles already! 

Now to look for pattern ideas.

My kids sure know how to make their mom happy!





No comments: