With all the stuff that's been going on, I have actually managed to crochet things every now and then!
For some time, I've wanted to make a hat with crocodile stitch, but I didn't like how a lot of the hats I saw looked at the top. Worked from the bottom up, the number of stitches needs to be reduced at the top to close it up. In the process, the evenly overlapping stitches around the body of the hat no longer line up nicely, and I wanted to keep that look.
I've made a couple of hats and this is a version I finished today, which ended up becoming a birthday gift for a neighbour who just turned 11.
This just happens to be the front of the hat as my daughter put it on - there is no actual front or back to it.
I worked a couple of complete rounds of crocodile stitch, then slowly reduced the number of scales in each round.
As I started reducing stitches at the top, I did the last row of crocodile stitch scales with half double instead of double stitches.
I do like the all-over scales side.
You can sort of see how I reduced the number of stitches as I worked the crown, as well as the one section of crocodile stitches in half doubles.
I'm rather pleased with the look. I will still likely tweak the design here and there as I make my next one.
The yarn I used is Loops & Threads Elegance, which is a new yarn available at Micheals only, and a 5.00mm hook. At 160yds/147m, it took one and a bit balls of yarn to do this hat. The yarn is 100% acrylic, yet has the feel of a cashmere blend yarn I have! I just love it.