Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Yogurt tub basket


Just finished sewing in the ends while waiting for my daughter's driving class to end.  Will update with a link to my source when I am on my desktop later on.


Made with a large yogurt tub and mason's line.


Sent from Anna's phone



Update: Oh, look!  A computer!


Here's the link where I got the idea for this container

My kids - especially my younger daughter - were sweet enough to use a Magic Eraser to take the print off the yogurt container.  Then I trimmed off the shaped bits at the top and used a hole punch to make the holes around the edge.  I really liked using mason's line for this project - it's really strong and not as slippery to work with as I was afraid it would be.  For the initial round of single crochet through the holes, I did [1sc, 2sc] around.  Thankfully, I had an even number of holes! *L*  After that, I worked sc in a spiral so there would be no seam.  After a few rounds, I did foundation single crochet for the handle, then sewed it to the opposite side.

At the last minute, I decided to hide the holes by doing a round of slip stitch, finishing off the last loop with a needle so that it looks seamless.  I like it much better than with the holes exposed.  It seems cleaner that way.

My first experiment with this was actually a 4L milk jug.  I thought the rounded corners would be okay.  It turned out all right, but I don't recommend using a milk jug.  Stick to round things. :-)

I'm not sure if I should call this a basket or a bucket or what.  *L*  It's just a handy little thing, though.  It even held my roll of mason's line for me while I worked, so it served as a yarn bowl as it was being made.

Definitely something I'll be making more of.





No comments: