Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Placemate Redux


placemat-comparison-50%
Originally uploaded by amkb

I finally finished blocking the last two placemats today. I ended up using steam, and wanted to show the comparison between steam and wet blocking.

The placemat on top was the first one I made and wet blocked, as posted previously. When I unpinned it, however, I found it had a tendency to ruffle and wouldn't lie flat, as you can see in the photo. It has been washed, but not put through the drier.

The placemat underneath is one that was pinned dry, then steamed. The result lies flat, drapes nicely, and is much more open. Having stretched the crap out of it while pinning it down, it also has a less bulky feel to it.

If I'm going to be steaming finished items this often, I'd better invest in a garment steamer. Using my steam iron is a bit tedious.

No comments: