Pages

Monday, March 9, 2009

Placemat

Well, we're all moved in, though far from unpacked. *L*

One of the things I'm enjoying most about our new home is that fact that we have a dining area. Which means we can actually sit around the table together as a family to eat - something we haven't been able to do in over 3 years!

So when I found this free pattern for a placemat at Coats and Clark, I figured I'd give it a go.

As usual, I changed a few things. I didn't have enough cotton yarn left to make a placemat set - I've been using it to make lots of little rectangular coasters, hot pads, etc. Instead I used a ball of "Walmart Special" acrylic yarn I had in the same bulk rating (medium/4). The instructions also called for a 4mm/US G-6 hook. My size G hooks are 4.25 mm. Looks like I have a 4mm gap in my hooks. I'll need to fix that. ;-)


The placemat was quick to work up - I did it in an evening while watching tv (we have cable tv in our new place, whether we want it or not, so we're rediscovering the joys of the mute button during commercials).

The red looks absolutely blinding in this photo. It isn't really that bad! Honest! *L* It's actually a very dark, though still bright, red.

I didn't get around to blocking it until this morning - I don't know that it would be needed if I'd done it in cotton. It's a basic wet block, which should be enough.






Still blindingly red, but a slightly better detail view.

I like this enough that I'll probably make 3 more. And will probably check out the cotton yarns and see about making some in that instead of acrylic. Right now, variagated cotton seems to be in the "in" thing, and I'd rather do it in a solid colour, so we'll see what I find.

No comments: