Finally, after several interruptions and delays, I got the balletneck sweater finished. You can view the photos for the entire project here, and the step-by-step blog posts here.
Here are the final photos. The sweater is being modelled by my daughter so, aside from the bust area, it's about 3 sizes too large on her.
First, the modified yoke. When I tried it on, before ending off the yarn, it actually rested a bit higher on my shoulders, but not high enough to rub against my neck. The width those extra rows added really balanced it out, too. The only frustration with finishing the yoke was running out of yarn about a dozen stitches before the end of the last round. *L*
A quick look at the side seam, which is a valley row in between the red lines I drew on.
Here, I've marked the extra row and seam joining the lower arm portion to the upper arm portion. On the other arm, this seam is at the back.
And finally, the whole thing. Being so many sizes too large for her, the body is much looser than it would be (though with the ribbed design, it doesn't really look it, does it?), the neck line higher, and the 3/4 sleeves would be slightly farther from her wrists.
The front and back are the same, except for the joining stitch on each round of the yoke. In fact, my daughter put it on backwards at first and we didn't notice until I deliberately went looking for the joins to see how obvious they were. I will probably add some sort of label to mark the back.
In trying it on myself, I found only one odd thing about the sweater. For some reason, the sleeves tend to turn while it's being put on, so that I have to twist them straight again before I put my arm completely through. I'm not sure why it does that.
I think it turned out rather well. :-D I hope my mother likes it. When I give it to her, I'm going to include one of the extra balls of yarn, in case she wants to add something to the cuffs or bottom, or in case repairs are needed at some point.