After doing the Feature Friday on double ended crochet, I spent some time looking at tutorials and figuring out what I was doing wrong. I then continued the piece I was working before, this time doing it right.
I wasn't impressed.
In this photo, I've got the piece folded in half to show both sides. I tried it using both single and double stitches. I liked the double stitches better, but not by much. In fact, I liked the section I'd done wrong better. I figured if all I wanted was stripes, I wouldn't bother using a double crochet hook at all.
I ended up ripping the whole thing and putting the hook away for a while. I did use it later on to experiment with tunisian stitch, but that's about it.
We've got a garage sale in our co-op coming up, and I decided to make a few quick pieces to see how they sell. For now, I've been making dishcloths, can cozies, etc. in Handicrafter Cotton, which I find I really like. It's a very versatile and easy care yarn. After looking at different ideas, I tried the double ended crochet hook again.
What a difference!
Now THIS I like! The finished piece is thick enough to be a potholder, though it could also be a dishcloth. It has an almost spongy feel to it. It's done in single stitch, yet remains flexible and soft. I'm really happy with how it turned out.
I'll be making more of these!