Pages

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Slipper sock - complete: final verdict

Once again, you can click on the photos for larger sizes, or visit my flickr set here, where the largest size images are available.




My elder daughter modelled this for me, though she had some difficulty putting it on. When my younger daughter tried it on later, it fit her much better. Except for the length of the foot part. It was about 1 1/2 inches too long.

Still, in this picture, it doesn't look too bad.


























I wasn't able to get a good photo of the back seams, but here you can see the side seams.

It doesn't look too bad. If I were to do this type of project again, I would make the whole thing wider by a few stitches, and the foot portion shorter. It would make an all right slipper sock. It was definitely warm, and this type of hardy yarn would be good for a slipper.

However, I wouldn't want to do this again. I'm not making a second one.

Even if I were to try a cuff down pattern again, I'd want to do one that works in the round, not one that is worked flat and needs to be sewn together. I see no reason for seams. Ultimately, though, I'd rather work from the toe than from the cuff.

The whole reason I tried a sock pattern in the first place was to learn how to turn a heel. I didn't learn how to do that, since the heel was sewn, not turned.

I'll have to try again with a different pattern.

.

No comments: