Sunday, October 3, 2010

Crossed Cables hat

I got some photos today of another cable hat I'd missed earlier.  My younger daughter has claimed this one for herself.


Crossed Cables

This piece was worked using two strands of Harmony yarn and a 9.00mm hook.  The crown was done in a flat disk of double crochet stitches.  When I reached the size I wanted, I did one round of dc without any increases, then started on the front post stitches to make the cables.

Crossed Cables

The patterns was determined by the number of stitches I ended up having, which was a multiple of five.  The first couple of rounds were in groups of 3 fpdc and 2 hdc.  After that, I split up the first and last fpdc to start the X.

Working the cables really pulled in the sides.  When not worn, the sides look completely straight, rather than gently curving outwards as most of the hats tend to. 

Crossed Cables

The last bit was worked the same was as the Green Cables hat. 

The entire piece was a touch longer than I usually make for a hat that doesn't get turned up - something my daughter really likes!

I'm rather happy with how it turned out, though if I do it again I might change the crossed front post double stitches to front post triple stitches.  I think that would prevent the pulling in.  On the other hand the hat wouldn't be quite a snug as it is, and I don't think I'd want it any looser.  Perhaps if using a thinner yarn or smaller hook, it would be more of a concern.  As it is, I think it worked our rather well.

No comments: