Pages

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Special Olympics Canada - Tunisian scarf

It took me a while, but I finally finished the scarf I was making for Special Olympics Canada Winter Games, and here it is!

Special Olympics Canada scarf in Tunisian

I was able to use my Denise Interchangable Crochet Hooks for the first time for this project.  It's the first time I've ever seen an 8mm hook, so that's the size I chose to make this.  I worked it using a Tunisian double crochet, however I worked the hook as with the Tunisian Stockinette stitch, in between the vertical bars from front to back instead of the front only.  Between the size of the hook and the stitch, it made for a very open fabric.

Tunisian stitch naturally tends to go on the diagonal, which can be blocked straight.  I used that tendancy as part of the design, instead. 

I'm really happy with how it turns out, but would never do a scarf like this again!  With all the colour changes, there were so many ends to work in; two for every band of colour for a scarf that ended up being more than 6 feet long!  Not an easy thing to hide and anchor all those ends in such an open design.

I'm happy with how it turned out, though, and I hope whoever recieves it enjoys it. :-)

I was able to finish a second scarf before I finished stitching this one.  I will be writing that one up as a free pattern in another post.

No comments: