Pages

Monday, October 17, 2011

Have crafts, will chat (updated)

Yesterday evening a bunch of us got together for a Craft n Cat at my place.  Sorta.  We live in a co-op, which gives me access to a multi-purpose room I can book at any time.  Lots of space, tables, chairs and even a fridge, microwave and kitchen sink.  Very handy.

The only down side?  Horrible lighting for pictures.

While there I worked on my first temari Christmas decoration.  I'm not at all happy with the photos, so I'll try again when I ready a new base for stitching.

I was able to salvage some other photos, though.  We took part in a coaster swap that I wrote about earlier.  Of course we all brought projects along to work on while we had our tea and munchies. :-D


 Here's one project in process.  The pattern is from Baby Styles by Beehive (Book No. 117) from late 1970s or early 1980s.  It's going to make a wonderful gift!


The last time I saw this cowl, it was just a narrow band of stitching!  It's made with a mohair blend sock yarn, if I remember correctly.  Long enough to wrap twice around the neck, light and warm!

update from the lovely maker of this cowl: "I just kind of improv'd. Cast on 300 sts, beaded the first two purled rows at every 5 sts (i think), and I did a second beaded, purled row on one edge beading every 5...carried on and on every 14th row slipped a bead on every 16th st. Finished with purled edge, beading every 5 sts. That's about it."


This set of coasters for the swap were made from a pattern found online somewhere, using Handicrafter Cotton.


These were my gift!  Aren't they awesome?  Instead of coasters, she made cabled cup warmers.  Love the knitted cables.

update:  "I got the mug cozies from a pattern on Ravelry.com, fell in love with the cabling."


This fascinating quilted coaster was finished during the Craft n Chat. I love the origami look.





I just had to get a shot of these socks in progress.  Each sock has 440 beads that need to be strung before the sock is started.  The maker of these is a knitting goddess who makes the most amazing socks and miniature clothing. 




The spiral piece you see under the socks became this after being sewn into shape.  Then, because we had a sink handy, it became ...




... this.  This is after being felted by hand in the sink.  I believe more felting is planned for it.

From the talented lady who made these:

"I found the idea for the quilted origami in a book titled, Fantastic Fabric Folding by Rebecca Wat (I hope that link works).  Now that I've got the hang of it, I think I'll make a pillow or wall hanging. The felted knitted coaster is from a pattern I found on Ravelry: Felted Coaster."

Felting.  That's something I still need to try.  Both this kind and needle felting. 

Add that to the list! :-D



No comments: