Pages

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Easter card step-by-step: part five

On to the final assembly!

For this, I went out and bought some spray glue.  Just some generic multi-purpose stuff, nothing fancy.  I needed the more delicate parts of the design to adhere to the backing paper, and spray adhesive is the best way to do that.

First, I had to protect my surfaces.

Photo

I taped two sheets of paper to my work surface.  The back of the card is slipped under one and the card's crease was jammed right up against it, so that no adhesive gets on the back.  The other paper is to protect my work surface.

Photo

The corners would be affixed first, with small blasts of adhesive, trying not to spray too much of the design area. 

Photo

Spraying, then placing each corner one at a time, I carefully used the guidelines I'd pencilled in before to position the pieces, smoothing them out to make sure they were well adhered.

Photo

Then I closed the card so they wouldn't stick to the paper underneath.  You can see a faint outline of the spray glue on the paper

Photo

Positioning the green backing was done differently.  First, after making sure the card's crease was tight against the protective paper, I made sure the green backing was lined up with the design.  A new sheet of paper was placed on the other side to cover the spray adhesive from the corners.

Photo

After carefully opening the card to make sure the green paper didn't shift, I covered it with another piece of scrap paper, so the only surface to get sprayed would be the back of the cut design.  This time, I made sure the entire back was evenly sprayed.

Photo

Then I carefully removed the paper covering the green backing paper and gently closed the card before smoothing out the front of the card against the backing.  I paid extra attention to the thinnest, most delicate parts of the design to make sure they hadn't been shifted or damaged in any way.

Photo

Finally, the finished card!

Photo

All it needs now is to write something inside. I left the card standing up for a while, giving the adhesive time to set and dry for a permanent bond.

No comments: