In looking at the various projects I've been doing, I have a serious dirth of guy-friendly patterns. Thinking about my various family members, I remembered that I have some serious coffee drinkers in there. Having seen some interesting ideas in pattern books and online, I decided to make up a java jacket for coffee mugs.
I worked this using Bernat handicrafter cotton and a 3.50mm hook. It's done much the same way as my can cozies, except that I was working in circles instead of a spiral. After working up a flat circle for the bottom (actually, it ended up being an octagon until I started working up the sides). The first round for the sides was done in the back loop only. I kept a mug beside me determine how high to go before starting the space for the handle, then adding the length for the closure.
The mug I used as I worked it up was a standard sized mug, and it ended up feeling a bit loose. It fits much better on this larger sized mug.