Friday, September 25, 2009

Blitz - mohair stole

Some time ago, I found a treasure of yarn at a local Goodwill. A bag full of fancy mohair blend yarns, including 9 balls of one type. Enough to make a very decent sized project. I've been hanging onto it for a while, thinking of what I could use it for. Because of the light airiness of the yarn, I was thinking of a shawl or a stole.

After looking at the various patterns, I ended up not using a pattern at all and just did a mesh pattern repeat. Here it is, modelled by my older daughter.

shawl

The yarn is Gypsy, from Jaeger. It's 71% mohair, 13% wool, 9% nylon and 7% acrylic; hand wash only.

To make the stole, I used a 4.00mm hook (mine is labelled F, but other brands label that size a G). I worked outwards from the centre foundation chain, in 5 ch loops. Because I had 9 balls of this yarn, I worked the first half until I finished 4 balls, which turned out to be 45 rows. Then I just matched the number of rows on the other side. When I completed the last row of loops, I kept on going around the entire stole, using up the last ball of yarn. Each long side has 2 sc into the ch and dc spaces along the edge, while the ends were done in scallops of (1sc, 1hdc, 3dc, 1hdc, 1sc) into each loop.

This project took me two evenings to finish. The finished result is incredibly light and fluffy, and surprisingly warm, considering how open the pattern is. I'm quite happy with my first stole. :-)

No comments: