Pages

Monday, September 21, 2009

Blitz - mittens

These are a variation of a free pattern I found at the Bernat website. The original instructions were for Softee Chunky yarn and a 6.00mm hook. I kept the hook size, but I used Northern Chunky from Kertzer, which I picked up at a yarn store I recently discovered. It's 100% acrylic, machine wash and dry-able. The colour is Cranberry Cocktail. It's a very lovely yarn to work with.


mitts-backs

A couple of modifications were made from the original pattern. The pattern called for 2 colours. The first was used for the first couple of rows, then a second colour was added, and the rest of the pattern was to be worked up with 2 strands on the hook. I chose to stick with just the one colour.

To the pattern itself, I didn't change anything other than doing the thumb in a spiral after the first joining round. I didn't want a "seam" on the thumb.


mitts-palms

The Bernat pattern also didn't have a ribbed cuff. I added that on myself, as longer cuffs offer better protection against the elements. I started by doing a row of sc into the foundation chain at the wrist. Then I chained 6, then worked back along that foundation for 5 sc, slip stitching back into the row of sc along the edge. Then I did another slip stitch before working 5 stitches back up the cuff, working in back loops only.

My daughters really like how they turned out. I will probably be making more of these for ourselves after our trip.

No comments: